Navy Aviation Radioman 3rd Class Walter E. Mintus, WWII radioman, was accounted for on June 25, 2018, the DPAA announced. His funeral is scheduled for November 10th in his hometown.
Mintus was a WWII radioman aboard a TBM-1c Avenger in the U.S. Navy Torpedo Squadron Fifty One (VT-51) based on the USS San Jacinto. Project Recover located the Avenger in 2016 and turned its findings over to the DPAA.
Mintus took off from the USS San Jacinto on July 27th, 1944. Their aircraft was in the lead position of four Avengers. Their mission was to bomb the Japanese base at Malakal Harbor. Witnesses last sighted his aircraft 3-5 miles ahead. Later, they saw an object believed to be an airplane on fire in Malakal Harbor.
Walter E. Mintus was declared Missing In Action along with his two crew-mates. In 1946, Mintus, WWII radioman, was presumed dead.
Read the full story here:
- June 2018 – Walter E. Mintus Is Accounted For By DPAA
- October 2018 – Funeral Announcement For Walter E. Mintus By DPAA
Project Recover is honored to support our MIAs and families.
Read Posts Related to Walter E. Mintus:
- March 2016 – Project Recover Locates Downed WWII Avenger in Pacific Islands
- February 2018 – Underwater Recovery of WWII MIA Avenger & Hellcat Crew Remains
- March 2018 – Beaver County Remembers Walter Mintus, WWII MIA, In Video
Read Posts Related to Project Recover Efforts Leading to WWII MIA Accounted For By DPAA: